Stay Away From Chicken Jerky Treats!

Google+PinterestShare

For the past few years, there have been warnings about chicken jerky treats made in China.  When ingested, clinical signs of malaise, lethargy, vomiting, excessive or decreased thirst or urination, weight loss, etc. have been seen due to Fanconi-like syndrome (when one loses too much sugar or glucose through the bladder).  Untreated, this can result in kidney failure and death.

In the meantime, we advise staying away from any food, treats, products, toys, etc. that are made in China!

Please click here for the most up-to-date information issued by the FDA regarding this cautionary update.

Published on September 4, 2012
Categorized under: Pet Safety Tips,Product Recalls,Uncategorized

9 Responses to “Stay Away From Chicken Jerky Treats!”

1. This is all good information. Thank you for helping us fight the good fight. Please help us get these dangerous products OFF the store shelves so no more pets are at risk. Thank you.

2. Tammy McCullough says:

Guess what? Costco sells a LOT of treats from China!! I returned them all and found chicken treats from New Jersey.

3. Terie vass says:

Thank you for warning people!! I only wish warnings, other than at the FDA website, had been out there before I fed my dogs Waggin train chicken jerky treats in February. Tashi & BJ were sickened after eating from a new bag. BJ was dead in 4 days from Kidney&liver failure. My 2 other dogs didn’t eat from that bag and never got sick. That pretty much proves there’s a toxin in some bags in my book. RIP Ballistic BJ. Tashi did recover.

4. Teresa Sullivan says:

Totally agree Terie Vass. I fed our 6 year old beagle Milo’s Chicken Jerky Treats for first time on August 30, 2012. She was dead on September 19, 2012 after suffering terribly from renal failure. What a horrible thing for a dog and her family to go through. FDA has leftover treats and bag they came in. Hopefully they will find something. I understand they now have NASA involved in the problem! Continue to pray for all families out there with dogs and keep spreading the word!

5. Goodie says:

The problem is much more serious than the reported numbers to the FDA indicate. It is estimated by some that only 1% of owners whose pet has had a reaction or even death caused by a treat from China will be reported. We vowed to never let this happen to our fur babies and started our own all natural – all organic – all grain free pet treat company. Goodie2chews.com. There are only a few of us in the manufacturing of our treats. We know exactly what goes into them and the sanitary conditions they are made in. Nothing but the best for our babies (and yours if you’ll give us a chance).

6. Debbie says:

Commenting on Teresa S. First of all, so sorry for your loss, but I thought Milo’s was made in the USA. Heinz I believe makes it. Although they might get the chicken from china. Should we still stay away from chicken jerkey, or is it safe now?

7. ishine60 says:

I noticed all these posts are a little dated. The recent CNN report is two days old (October 23, 2013)regarding avoiding the Jerky Treats made in China.