Pet Poison Helpline and AVMA LIFE have teamed up to co-sponsor webinars on a variety of topics pertaining to veterinary wellness. We share a passion for the veterinary industry and a desire to help our profession grow. We hope you can join us on our journey!
Megin Nichols, DVM, MPH, DACVPM
Enteric Zoonoses Activity Lead, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
April 24th, 2019
“Don’t kiss your chickens!” became the public health message broadcast across the United States during the summer of 2018 as outbreaks of human Salmonella infections linked to backyard chickens swept across the country, causing over 300 human illnesses. Salmonella infections can result when the bacteria that reside in animal intestines enter the world via their feces, and are usually transmitted to people through contaminated water or food. Recent outbreaks in the United States have implicated contact with live animals as a growing source, and even healthy animals are known to shed Salmonella bacteria. Since Salmonella cannot be seen with the naked eye, and it may not even make animals sick, many people are unaware that animals can transmit diseases to people. Dr. Nichols is a veterinarian who has worked for the past 4 years on the front lines with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), investigating outbreaks of human infections, like Salmonella, that are linked to contact with animals and the germs they can carry. Finding ways for people to interact with animals and enjoy the human-animal bond, while remaining healthy is what veterinarians do best. Attend this webinar and learn more about the tools and resources which provide valuable information to keep pets and pet owners healthy.
Instructions for viewing the recorded webinar:
- You will first need to register for the webinar. After completing the registration form, you will be taken directly to the event lobby.
- In the lobby, you will see colored widgets at the bottom of your screen for the slides, media player, Q&A, speaker bio, post-test, certification, and resource list. Click on the widgets you want to have open and press play in the media player to begin the recording.
- You can download the presentation handout here or access them from the green resource list widget to follow along.
- In order to receive non-interactive CE credit for watching the presentation you will need to:
- watch the presentation for at least 45 minutes
- take and pass the corresponding post-test, which can be found in the green widget box
- click on the yellow certificate widget to download your non-interactive CE certificate