Is chocolate poisonous to dogs?

Google+PinterestShare

While the occasional chocolate chip within one cookie may not be an issue, we worry about certain types of chocolate – the less sweet and the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your pet. Baker’s chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest problem. Other sources include chewable, flavored multi-vitamins, baked goods, or chocolate-covered espresso beans. The chemical toxicity is due to a methylxanthine (like theobromine), and results in vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, inflammation of the pancreas (i.e., pancreatitis), an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures, and rarely, even death. With Halloween right around the corner, make sure your kids know to hide the stash from your dogs. (Dogs make up 95% of all our chocolate calls, as cats are usually too discriminating to eat chocolate!) In smaller dogs, even the wrappers from candy can result in a secondary obstruction in the stomach or intestines.

What’s in it

When it comes to chocolate, it’s imperative to remember this fact: Dark = dangerous! The darker the chocolate, the larger the amount of theobromine, a cousin chemical to caffeine, that it contains. Thus, baker’s chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa powder and gourmet dark chocolates are more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has very little theobromine and will not cause chocolate poisoning in pets.

Threat to pets

It’s the dose that makes the poison! Pets that ingest a few M&Ms or 1-2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie are unlikely to develop chocolate poisoning.

• For milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight may put dogs at risk for chocolate poisoning.
  • Ingestions of more than 0.13 ounces per pound of dark or semi-sweet chocolate may cause poisoning.
  • Almost all ingestions of baker’s chocolate can result in poisoning and are considered emergencies.
  • Very young, geriatric and animals with underlying disease must be treated more conservatively as they are more at risk for poisoning than healthy adult animals.
  • Due to the large amount of fat in chocolate, some pets may develop pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) after eating chocolate or baked goods containing chocolate (see fatty foods).

Signs of chocolate poisoning

Ingestions of small amounts of chocolate may cause mild vomiting and diarrhea. Larger ingestions can cause severe agitation, tachycardia (elevated heart rate), abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures and collapse.

Treatment

Induce vomiting and give multiple doses activated charcoal to decontaminate. Aggressive IV fluids to help with excretion, sedatives to calm the pet, specific heart medications to reduce the heart rate and blood pressure, anti-convulsants for seizures, antacids (such as Pepcid) for stomach discomfort and diarrhea. Theobromine may be reabsorbed across the bladder wall so a urinary catheter or frequent walks are needed to keep the bladder empty.

Prognosis

Excellent with small ingestions (such as mild stomach upset).
Excellent in pets with mild signs of poisoning (such as mild stomach upset or slight restlessness). Poor in those with severe signs of poisoning such as collapse and seizures.

Product Theobromine Caffeine
White chocolate 0.25 mg/oz 0.85 mg/oz
Milk chocolate 44-60 mg/oz 6 mg/oz
Dark semisweet 135 mg/oz 20 mg/oz
Unsweetened baker’s chocolate 390-450 mg/oz 47 mg/oz
Dry cocoa powder 400-737 mg/oz 70 mg/oz
Cocoa beans 300-1500 mg/oz -
Cocoa bean mulch 56-900 mg/oz -

Published on July 29, 2011
Categorized under: Pet Safety Tips

161 Responses to “Is chocolate poisonous to dogs?”

1. [...] One interesting thing I saw today was a guide wheel on a corkboard that helps identify the level of chocolate poisoning a dog has sustained based on the weight of the dog, the type of chocolate, and how many ounces of chocolate the dog had. To learn more about the dangers of chocolate to pets, go to http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2011/07/is-chocolate-poisonous-to-dogs/ . [...]

2. Jo ann says:

We have a small breed dog about 4-5 lbs and got into some chocolate pudding dont think he got much but did get enough. He has been throwing up a few times a day for the past couple of days. Thought it was the heat cause we were in michigan and now in miami,fl until i found the pudding cup. He seems to be alright, he is still playfull hard to tell about the hyperness cause he is always that way. No diarrhea. Is there anything to do?

3. jennifer says:

I have a little small breed dog…he is about 20 pounds…he licked the chocolate off of a snickers wrapper ??? Should I be worry and take him too the Vet ASAP ??? What dooo I dooo ???

• Hi Jennifer,
      Unfortunately, we cannot address these types of inquiries online for liability reasons. Please call our 24/7 helpline at 800-213-6680 for advice.

• lol says:

u shouldn’t worry Jennifer that hardly does any thing to ur dog

• Paisley says:

There is a $39 fee for this company to even answer your question. That is crazy! They might was well just refer everyone to a local 24 hour vet in their area.

• Laurie says:

Vets are actually on call for pet poison control, hence the charge. If you go to your vet for a poisoning issue, they will not (or should not) treat your pet without having you call pet poison control so they can have more guidance on how to treat your pet.

4. Shelli says:

Every question is answered here with: K.Branflick says:
    October 10, 2012 at 8:12 am
    Hi Jennifer,
    Pet Poison Helpline

Why even have a blog???? You are NO HELP….

• Hi Shelli,

We are so sorry for your frustration. The “comment section” following our articles is just that and not meant to be an interactive, medical blog. We apologize if that is not clear, as it is certainly our intention to only help pet owners with potential poison information not to treat online nor to mislead!
      Unfortunately we cannot provide specific medical information online without directly speaking with the pet owner to learn more about the pet, the toxin involved and the circumstance in which the pet was exposed. Otherwise, we would be not only putting ourselves at risk, but also the pet owner and ultimately the poisoned pet.

In the case of chocolate specifically one critical piece of information is the type of chocolate. Bakers Chocolate is far more toxic than milk chocolate, so when we speak to the pet owner we capture that information. The age of the pet is also a factor to be considered.

We try, but are not always able to check our comments daily, so by the time we see a comment and respond, it may be too late to help the poisoned pet. In the case of a potential poisoning emergency it is always best to call our Helpline or your veterinarian first to get immediate treatment advice from a veterinary and toxicology professional.

We are happy to answer general, non-emergency inquiries online and encourage questions of this nature. We also have an extensive poison database with symptoms to look for, severity indicators and descriptions that should give you a good idea as to whether or not your pet is at risk.

We post poisoning information to help educate the pet owner to know what might potentially be poisonous to their pets. With that knowledge we hope that not only if a potential poisoning happens the pet owner will act accordingly for the safety of their pet, but also that this information helps pet owners to “pet proof” all parts of their home to prevent a potential emergency.

Again, our information is well intended to assist pet owners in their knowledge. We are sorry for any misunderstanding on the reason for the comment section of our website.

Thanks for understanding.
      -Pet Poison Helpline

• ann says:

they reply with “We cannot address these types of inquiries online for liability reasons. Please call us at 800-213-6680 for advice.
      Pet Poison Helpline” so we will call and they make money.
      This is of no help to me at all. i am babysitting my son 3 month old puppy that weights abt 2lbs. i went to the bathroom and came out and found she ate a hershey kiss. i called the number here to find out what to do. i don’t have $40 – so not fair. this is truly not set up for poor people. i was hopeful, now i just see this as a money maker, not an animal loving site. i thought it was like poison control for humans – nope, not at all.

• Hi Ann,
        We know the cost of this service can be a hurdle for some and we certainly wish we could provide it for free. As animal lovers who have dedicated our professional lives to saving pets, we’d like nothing more. Unfortunately, for us to simply exist, we must charge for our service. Human poison control is paid for using your tax dollars. That is why it appears “free.” Sadly, there is no tax allocation for animal poison control. Therefore, we’re faced with a choice—charge or don’t exist. In the grand scheme of things, we think it’s much more important to provide pet owners and veterinarians with access to a 24/7 life saving resource than to not have one at all. Finally, our fee is considerably less than the cost of bringing your dog to an emergency veterinarian. Most pet owners are often relieved to know that their pet can be monitored at home and spare themselves the stress and expense of an ER visit. Also, just so you’re aware, there are actually 3 services in the US that provide animal poison control consultation. Of those, ours is by far the most reasonable in cost (the others are $65 and $45 per case, ours is $39). We work extremely hard to keep our cost as low and as reasonable as possible; we hope you can see this by comparing our cost to the other two.
        We sincerely hope that the puppy you were watching is doing ok. If you have any further medical questions, please feel free to call us back. Otherwise, we do have a considerable amount of free information here on our website that you can read through.
        Best regards,

• Spike5 says:

It’s really harsh to criticize people who are financially strapped. You know nothing about their circumstances. They may have been far more secure when they adopted a pet and since then have lost a job, had major medical problems, have had a premature infant, etc. Would you prefer that they abandon their dog to a shelter or turn him loose in the woods to fend for himself? Would you think that’s a better solution?

And I know this will come as a shock to you, but not everyone can be a rocket scientist nor could any society function if everyone was. If everyone was a college grad and insisted on holding jobs that fit their educational levels, there would be no one to cook in restaurants or clean your office or work in a gas stations or convenience stores or wait on you in a department store or fill your order from Amazon or grow the food you eat or stock the shelves at the supermarket. And if only people in the 1% had pets, there would be millions of dead dogs and cats.

I hope you treat your helpless pets with more compassion than you do those who have less money than you.

• judy says:

Ummm…honeybunny. You obviously skipped over the part where Ann said she was DOGSITTING. It’s not her dog! So she’s not just letting her dog die because she has no education, which, by the way, has NOTHING to do with owning a pet. And judging by your ignorance, it’s likely you don’t have an education either. I don’t usually reply to things like this but your comment disgusted me so much I couldn’t help myself. I came on this site because my dog ate some chocolate and I wanted to know what to do, not look on this site to have some fool bashing someone who may be down on their luck and can’t afford a $40 phone call. If she didn’t care about the dog she was sitting, she wouldn’t have taken the time to look up the answer to her question! And honeybunny, I have a college education and I still wouldn’t be able to afford to pay $40 for a phone call. I’m glad your life is so perfect that you can judge someone else’s financial situation. Thank God your pets will always be taken care of medically because I’m pretty sure the compassion part is missing on your end.

• Peggy says:

Honeybunny, i understand your reaction. I’m sure chocolate is not an issue for dogs in your house. However, you should probably read up on remedies for teabag poisoning, for yourself if not for your dogs.

• Dena Vettor says:

I also just came upon this website because my dog ate chocolate but Honeybunny”s post is shameful. How much money you have does not dictate how well you can love and care for your pet (although it helps in emergencies). I am in the last semester of earing my doctorate and I can’t afford a $40 phone call! Stop your pathetic judgments. You don’t know me or my situation! Grow up!

5. Christine says:

Hi,

my dog ate 2 chocolate cupcakes (35 grams each)a few minutes ago. Right now he’s sleeping and not doing anything. I’m starting to panic. I don’t know what to do. help! :’(

• Hi Christine,

We unfortunately cannot provide medical treatment advice online. We go into great detail as to why this is not safe for you or your pet in the response above yours. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and hope that your dog is doing well. In the future, please call our Hotline at 800-213-6680 for immediate access to 24/7 veterinary advice as soon as you become aware of a potential poisoning.

6. silla says:

soo.. what can one do if a small dog (a bit larger than a chihuahua) eats a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and gets the runs?

7. Tamlyn says:

Our dog ate about 1/3 of my husband’s chocolate birthday cake on Christmas day this year. We called the poison line and they are totally worth the $39 fee! I spoke directly to a vetrinary doctor who took a number of specific bits of information, calculated the dosage our dog had received and gave us detailed instructions for what to do next. We were given a case number and asked to call back with the outcome at which time they provided us with a lot of excellent follow up information re:signs and symptoms to look for. Probably saved us at least a couple hundred in vet fees.

8. cindy field says:

how much is to much for a 4lb chihuahua?

9. Jo says:

Thank you for the information you have shared. My dog has eaten some milk chocolate today as my 5 year old left it where she could get it and I forgot to check (kicking myself). I am not sure how much of it she ate but would not be much. I wasn’t sure how much was dangerous and checked online, I now know what to look out for and so far she is fine. Our local vets is just 2 miles away so will be going if she has any of the early signs you have mentioned. Thank you again, Jo

• J.Lee says:

It depends on the amount – it’s the dose that makes the poison. When in doubt, the darker and the more bitter, the more dangerous. I’d recommend calling us or taking him to your vet so we can calculate and see if it’s poisonous. When in doubt, please do not post poisoning dangers, as these comments are NOT addressed daily. Always call our 24/7 800-213-6680 in case of emergency.

10. Ashley says:

Hi I have a mixed Schnauzer she weighs 22lbs and just accidentally ingested chocolate. She ate 5 Hershey kisses, should I take her to the vet? Or do I have anything to be worried about?

• Hi Ashley,
      For liability reasons, we unfortunately cannot give out patient specific medical or toxicology advice over the internet. Feel free to read through additional chocolate information located here: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/chocolate/. If you have any more specific questions about your Schnauzer and a potential poisoning, please call our 24/7 Helpline at 800-213-6680 and we’d be more than happy to help assess the situation and determine whether or not you need to take your dog to the vet. Hope she’s doing well!

11. Natalia says:

I have a 7 month old boxer who has managed to sniff out any chocolate lying around. He’s had quite abit and has been vomiting every now and then he also has diarrhoea. Should I get him checked out at the vets??

• J.Lee says:

Depending on his size and weight, yes, these signs can be consistent with chocolate poisoning, and I’d recommend getting to a vet immediately!

12. Ginger says:

Our 81 lb dog ate a whole container of chocolate cookies! I called the helpline and followed your advice! Our dog is now doing fine! THANK YOU so much for your help!!!

13. linna reyes says:

My dog woke up throwing up and I’m freaking out! I don’t know what to do. I don’t know what he ate but he wont stop vomiting.

• Hi Linna,
      For immediate access to medical information from our veterinary professionals, you’ll have to call our 24/7 Helpline. Our website is not checked daily, nor is it monitored by veterinarians. Remember that if a potential poisoning does occur, call your veterinarian or us at 800-213-6680 right away. The sooner a poisoning is diagnosed, the easier, safer and less expensive it is to treat your pet. We hope your dog is feeling better.
      Pet Poison Helpline

14. [...] Keep chocolates out of reach (and don’t buy dark chocolate). The Pet Poison Helpline® has good info on why chocolate is bad for dogs and what to do if your dog does eat your [...]

15. Ileem says:

I used your hotline on valentines day after my 29 lb dog ate 6 Oz of dark chocolate MM. The tech that helped me was wonderful. We induced vomiting with peroxide, a lot of it came up and other than one restless night…the dog is just fine. Your small fee saved me hundreds at the emergency hospital!

16. lilian chindavong says:

my pekenese/pug got diarrhea and the box of chocolates were open. i dont know if he ate it or not he isnt throwing up or anything, should i take him to the vet?

• Hi Lilian,
      These comments are not checked daily and we, unfortunately, cannot respond to email/website inquiries for liability reasons. For immediate assistance, please call our 24/7 Helpline at 800-213-6680.
      Thanks!

17. sara says:

If your that worried about your pet cl your vet. The poision hotline can just help with symptoms but not long term, if you have a small dog like I do and they eat a small bite size candy bar then its a good idea to call a vet I am not saying the hotline doesn’t work cause it does, my dog has eatin many things one thing to help with low blood sugar (this is a reason a dog will eat chocolate is because of the sweetness.) My.pup has low blood sugar my vet said to take some karo syrup and rub there gums with it just a drop. Keep all sweets away from animals one chocolate chip may seem non dangerous but it can still hurt the dogs digestive system. But like I said the landline is good!

18. Vanessa says:

My dog has eaten 4-6 chocolate cake loaves which are a about 4inches long and wide and is about a 20-30lb dog. Should my dog be okay? She’s eaten a few pieces of chocolate here and there, but she seems to be fine. Is she going to be okay?

• Hi Vanessa,
      These comments are not checked daily and for liability reasons cannot be addressed online. In the future, please call our Helpline at 800-213-6680 or your veterinarian for immediate advice. We hope that your dog is doing ok.

19. jack says:

Seems like you should just call the hotline and don’t even bother posting anything.

20. Maddie says:

My dog licked some coco powder off the packet should I be worried? (He’s a puppy)

21. elizebeth says:

My dog ate half of my milk chocolate from hershy i gave him milk

22. Asa says:

Where does the cocoa in brownie mix fall on the dangerous chocolate line?

23. Bailey says:

my beagle ate a lot of Easter chocolate while we were gone but she seems perfectly fine should I be worried

24. Ethan says:

My 12 lbs dachshund-beagle ate a lot of milk chocolate and peanut butter on easter. He seems perfectly fine but i dont know if heel be ok

25. ....... says:

Or you can’t give info because there is a $39 charge…….. What a joke

• Peggy says:

Get a clue and quit complaining. Are you providing a free EDUCATIONAL website? Would you provide free professional services? Are you willing to be sued and your career ended because of inadequate information and contact?
      You are one of those people who wants everything free and at your beck-and-call. Real ADULT life is not like that. You need to call your vet.

26. Reggie Cabrera says:

I have a shih tzu and he is 4 yrs old. What will I do if my shih tzu eats processed food. My maid gave him a little (strand) of tocino (processed food) and she doesn’t know that this is bad to any dogs. Now my dog has a wound under his tail (near when he poo). Is this curable?

27. Alexis says:

My beagle 20-25pounds ate a good amount of my Easter candy while I was at school she has been fine all day now she is sleeping should I be worried

• Hi Alexis,

Thank you for your post. Unfortunately, these comments are not checked daily so we are just receiving it. In order to ensure immediate answers, it is always best to either call your veterinarian or our 24/7 Helpline at 800-213-6680. This in turn is safer for your pet as well, since the sooner a poisoning is diagnosed, the easier and safer it is to treat. We hope that your beagle is doing well.

28. Elizabeth says:

My dog weighs 10-20 pounds, she ate a mini chocolate candy should i be worried???

29. Mack says:

Hello,
    I had just got back from a one-day vacation. We had got home and noticed he had ate 2 and 3/4 of a bag.I am very worried and don’t know what to do. Please respond A.S.A.P.

Thxs.

• Hi Mack,
      Unfortunately, these comments aren’t monitored daily so we are just seeing this. We sincerely hope that your dog is doing ok. If he ever gets into any potential poisons again, be sure to either contact your veterinarian or our Helpline immediately. You can reach us at 800-213-6680. Our phones are staffed 24/7/365 and our veterinarians are happy to help with any type of poisoning!

30. patricia says:

my daughter dog is one year dog terrier who just ate a box of brownies what can i do

31. Jessica says:

My dog some how got to our ziplock bag of dark chocolate covered raspberries. He seems fine but had trouble going to the bathroom but when he did he had diarrhea . He has not thrown up and seems fine but still concerned. He did drink lots of water and I fed him crackers and food to fill his stomach will food to hopefully lessen the chocolate he ate( not sure if that works lol) should I be worried or are we in the clear. Also what signs should I look for to be worried?8

32. Concerned commenter says:

Stop asking these people what should you do cause your dog ate chocolate. They clearly always respond back with call the poison hotline or go to a vet it’s not that hard. People make me want to shake my head sometimes

33. Leah says:

our dog (soft coated wheaten terrier) ate about a handful of semi sweet chocolate chips. they were in cream cheese and a bagel. I’m not sure what to do. we gave him some water, does that help a little bit? please inform us on what to do, we are very concerned.

34. victoria says:

So chocolate coverd doughnuts would not cause death to a dog 50-100lbs if I am understanding this right!???

35. Anthony says:

My dog ate lickerish will she be ok

36. Jay says:

This is total BS. My grandmother feed her dog a chocolate bar a day and the dog lived until she was 15. I had a dog find her way into an industrial sized just opened Vaseline tub. Other than explosive diahera and a shiny coat for about a month, nothing happened. If a by product of crude oil can’t put a dog down pretty sure chocolate isn’t gonna do a thing.

37. michelle m says:

Should i take my dog to the vet if it looks like she is dehydrated. (But is not) .And when she sleeps it looks like her heart is racing . Please help

• Hi Michelle,
      If you are ever unsure, it is best to either call your veterinarian or our Helpline to get an immediate answer. That way you can be sure whether or not the symptoms you’re noticing require immediate action. We sincerely hope that your dog is doing ok! If you ever have any questions or need any help in the future, please don’t hesitate to call one of our veterinary professionals at 800-213-6680.

38. Chirpa says:

Oh my god! Some of you people are complete lazy imbeciles…not reading through the comments and learning early on that the blog author cannot and will not give medical advice specific to your dog as it creates a potential liability….sheesh, learn to not be so lazy, if that is in fact possible for you….

39. Brooke says:

My pitbull blue nose at 3 months weighs about 18 lbs. I woke up and she had had a box of chocolate. I have no idea how much she ate im alittle paranoid.

40. Collette Kumiega says:

My 50lb dog zoey decided to eat 2 bags of fun size snickers and 3 musketeers,plus 4 reg size Hershey bar..I was aliitle put off at first about the 39$ fee and actually hung up first time..time is essence with everything and I figured I’d b worried all night anyway so called back second time staff was very helpful and happy to report after inducing vomit with perioxide,zoey gave me back just about all the chocolate she took from my stash..well worth the money for a healthy dog and peace of mind..thanks Michele and Melanie..I would definitely call pet poison control again…

41. ANNOYED says:

Some of you people are complete MORONS and shouldn’t even be allowed to own a dog in the first place!! Clearly they can’t post medical advice here so QUIT ASKING. GOOD GRIEF!!!

42. candi says:

these people want you to call to charge you $40.00 us so they can tell you to go to the vet

43. Sandeep says:

Thanks for the help. I was really worried but they helped me calculate the dose he had. I was ready to take him to the vet to have him given charcoal. Not only did they save me a trip but calmed my nerves. Service was fantastic and the gentleman I spoke with was extremely patient and kind!

44. Bec says:

So what if it costs $39?
    Would you rather a dead pet dog?

45. noel says:

Hi,
    What other things can you use so that of the dog eats chocolate I can fond something around the house

46. Jeanie says:

Call your local ER Vet, they will usually answer questions over the phone for free.

47. selena says:

Hey my dog ate a nutter butter and I wanna know if he can die or get very sick from it?

48. Amy says:

We have three dogs. The youngest seems to have gotten into a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips. I walked all the dogs prior to realizing what happened. The little one was acting hyper (I thought he was just afraid of traffic). When we got home, he vomited a fair amount of mucus with what appeared to be chocolate in it. He seems very happy and more calm now (my daughter is taking him to the ER as we speak though). The other two dogs are sleeping peacefully. I don’t have any way of knowing if they shared. Anything I should be on the look out for with the other dogs? I’ve read the symptoms but I’ve also read a blog about a dog that was calm the first night and died the next day.

49. Austin Walters says:

I Have A chihuahua Terrier Mix Dog And Today She Got Ahold Of One Of My Small Dark Chocolate Blocks Will It Kill Her I’m Worried Because I Have Always Been Told Chocolate Kills Dogs Will Someone Help Me Out

50. jaclyn rieger says:

My 9 month old pitbull who weighs like 60-75 lbs just ate a half piece of chocolate cake from olive garden, that was sitting on the counter. Right now he seems okay, but the moment he pukes im taking him to the vet, because I dont have the extra money, but if I notice something is wrong then im going to have to take him.

51. Bethany says:

I was eating a snickers bar (milk chocolate) I am only 11 years old and My dog, Nala, ate some of it, about a forth I had saved for my mom and grandma. I started to cry and was freaking out. Nala is a Norwegian Elkhound so what do I do? PLEASE HELP QUICK I’M REALLY SCARED FOR HER!! Thank you!

52. Steph says:

My dog just ate a little chockate chip but i washed her mouth and tried to take some out should i be worried?

53. George Barrington says:

My dog ate my whole birthday cake all chocolatte he is a staffy cross bull mastiff the cake was 10inches long and about 7inches wide alot of chocolate as I dont like sponge he has vomited 3 times already and swollen tummy other than that he seems like his normal self but im still worried for him what should I do??

54. My 12 month pure bred pitt just ate 5 or 6 chuky chocolate chip cookies when I wasnt home. What should I do???!?!?!!!

55. Glen says:

Unlike all these other whiners, I actually appreciate the info you posted about amounts and types of chocolate, compared to their toxicity. Thank you.

56. Amanda says:

So my dog is 2 years old (toy Aussie) about 13.5 lbs she ate some milk chocolate and this is the second time it’s happened. It was quite a bit too. But she never seems to have any side effects. So I don’t need to call for help, (it’s not an emergency) I was just wondering if I should worry and talk to my vet. My mother says I shouldn’t, but I still worry.

57. angel says:

My 2 year old dog shitzu got into about half a bag of mini kit kats. We gave her peroxide to induce vomiting but she has not yet and its been 3 hours. Advice please

58. Abigail says:

My 2 year old miniature poodle ate a significant amount of 70% dark chocolate yesterday. She’s fine, and I cannot thank Pet Poison Helpline enough. Their advice was better than my vet’s, and their emotional support excellent. I am positive that my dog is chasing tennis balls today, because I was able to act quickly. The nearest vetrinary hospital, that was open on a Friday night, was a forty minute drive away. Because of the Pet Poison Helpline, the chocolate was out of her system in under five minutes.
    This is a wonderful service, and well worth the cost. It is unrealistic to expect an email response to a desperate question. Quality advice is individualized advice, based on an exchange of vital idiosyncratic information between the pet owner and the vetrinarians.
    Interestingly, my consultation unexpectedly turned out to be free. My dog is microchipped through Home Again, and apparently this service is a perk.
    Many thanks to both Home Again and Pet Poison Hotline.

59. Ersebet says:

My dog is a Australian Shepard he is about 2 years old and has gotten into my brothers chocolate. He has been vomiting and has had diarrhea. Lately I have been worried is there anything I can do I don’t want to loose him pleas help

• Hi Ersebet,

60. Lumarie says:

I have a small puppy a Pomeranian she is just about a month old. she was eating a Reese’s but it was through the wrapper so she only got to lick it what should I do!!! is she okay ???

61. Ashley says:

This is all bull there is a hotline that is free my dog ate a lot of chocolate and I called a hotline and a dr talked me through the steps and it was successful and I found them through google these people on here are just money hungry

62. Corinne says:

After a late night party I came home with a Halloween bag of junior mints, tiny chocolate bars, Reese’s peanut butter pumpkins and junior mints. They’re all milk chocolate and the peanut butter pumpkins are mostly peanut butter.

Out of my own stupidity and sleep deprivation I forgot to put the bag up and she ate it all! She’s an English Cockerspaniel and now acting fairly lethargic and I’m terrified for her what do I do…?

63. Sarah says:

I was drinking some dark chocolate milk with bread because I’m Haitian and I left it on the floor and my dog flopi was drinking it for about 8 seconds so what do I do

64. Sarah says:

My dog 70 pound dog ate half a piece of chocolate cake, should I be worried?

65. Cam says:

My dog ate 1/3-1/2 king sized bar of crunch. Is that to bad??

66. Greg says:

Thank you for your site and blog. The information here was very helpful. In my case, my dog is large (90 lbs) and she ate only a few ounces of milk chocolate – which appears well within safe limits based on your chart above. I will keep an eye on her just in case. But your site was very helpful.

It is sad that many people above bash your site or service for not helping via the comments. It is very easy (with a little math) to calculate if your pet is even close to having a dangerous amount of chocolate. Hopefully for every person who jumps straight to the comments to ask “my dog at X, is that too much?” – there are probably 20 who actually read the article and do the math and know if they should be worried.

Thank you for providing this information and helping so many people!

• Hi Greg,

Thank you for the nice note. We are so glad to hear that you find our website helpful. We really strive to provide as much free information as we can to help educate pet owners of the dangers of various toxins in and around their homes.

All the best to you and your four-legged loved ones!

67. CJ says:

My 12 pound dog ate 6 hershey nuggets and a ghirardelli intense dark square. I didn’t find out until several hours later. I called the vet and they said some of the preventative measures they could do only exist in the first 2 hours after ingestion…after that they watch for signs and if your dog has severe signs they will treat those. So if it has been awhile, watch your dog! We took ours to the vet and they gave her a fluid injection to help flush her out after they checked her temperature and heart rate. They said she may have chocolate poisoning but wasn’t’ showing any signs yet. We could get her treated at a vet hospital with IV fluids or wait and see if she showed severe signs. So we are now waiting to see if the flush worked.

68. cindy says:

hi my 5 month year old puppy saw an m&m that my cousin drooped and chewed it but didnt swallow the whole m&m. i took it out and washed his mouth. do u think anything will happen to him.

• Melissa says:

A single m&m cannot harm a dog especially if he didn’t even swallow the whole thing! You have nothing to be concerned about!
      Best regards,
      Melissa

69. Romano Peros says:

My 9 year old min pin got a hold of a 7oz. Hershey milk chocolate bar and devoured it. It’s been 4 hours now and she seems o,k.

70. Maranda says:

Im so scared! My 20 week old puppy (chihuahua/dash hound) had a few bites of a chocolate muffin. What do I do?!?! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

71. Enez says:

My dog sadly died because these people said they had to put him down. All because I didn’t have the money to help him! If we don’t have the money they say we have to put our pets down

72. roselyn says:

hi! um… my dog is a english cocker spaniel and she just ate a piece of grandmas chocolate chip cookie and shes old do i need to go to a vet with her to check her? or she’s gonna be ok without going to a vet?

73. holly says:

Hi, my dog got.into.the garbage and ate somecookies that had like 4 oz if.cocoa powder. Should I be worried?

74. jenny says:

This information was helpful but a calculation feature would be awsome. To be able to enter in the weight of the pup and select the type of chocolate to get the amt of poisionous content ingested would aleiviate a lot of the posts above and help us know when to completely panic and call. This is a great service and anyone who can’t afford the 40$ may want to reconsider their pet budget. Pets are like kids they come with medical bills!

75. honeybunny says:

Stop COMPLAINING about the price of this SERVICE people! Where do you get the entitled idea that things should be FREE just because YOU don’t earn a living wage? Perhaps you should get educated enough or work more hours until you are able to support yourself and the children/pets who depend on you? Don’t you think the kind folks providing this service at (the LOW FEE of $39.00) had to PAY for their schooling and pay to set up their practice and PAY business cost just to stay afloat? No, things are not free. Not to people trying to run a business and not to the complainers. One can’t help wondering if these whiners didn’t KNOW their own financial situation before they adopted their pets? If you are unable to pay a mere 39 bucks to save your own pets life then it’s highly unlikely your poor animals are going to get routine vaccinations and basic veterinary care which is sad,sad,sad!!!!!

• eric says:

I dont think its much to ask for donations im sure they would make even more with a donation system and yearly\ bi yearly donation drives.

wikipedia does anual donation drives and is super successful with it. Not everything has to be about profit. People who have more money to give will because its usually a tax writeoff anyway, and it will allow those who dont have a lot of money to donate less and still help save these four legged family members.

76. my 6 pound dog ate one ounce milk cholate and seems ok should i do anything

77. Mikey says:

my 5LB chihuahua ate 1-3 dark chocolate chip cookies like 2 days ago and has had diarrhea and has been vomiting since then but the dark chocolate was super sweet. Do you think she’ll be alright or should we take her to the vet?

78. rebecca says:

My maltipoo that weight 6lbs n is a 1 year old ate 1 hershey kiss ……should i take her in to the vet

79. Heather says:

Everyone leaving questions on this site!!! None of the Dr’s here can help you in a timely fashion, especially if your dog has already eaten chocolate. Google “animal hospital” for your zip code and tell the operator how much and what kind of chocolate your dog ate. Keep in mind that most cases can be solved at home by giving your dog a tsp of peroxide per 10 lbs, this will make the dog barf immediately and prevent any further digestion of the poison. You still may need to go to the vet, but keep in mind that most vets will want you to come in because that’s how they make $$$$$:)

80. Lauren Simpson says:

My dog is 100 ibs. He is a lab/pit bull mix. He ingested several milk chocolate chip cookies. What can I do?

81. rel says:

My 10lbs cockapoo ate 2mini chocolate donuts should I be worried .

82. Alex Russell says:

Hi, my pet staffie just ate three fingers of normal kit kat about 15 minutes ago. He seems fine-should I be worried?

83. Gaby says:

My dog ate 3 choclete cookies. Im worried. I don’t have the treatment money. How can I save her?

84. Tyler says:

My 15 lb. dog ate 5 chocolate Kisses. Does this pose a threat to him?

85. John says:

My 11lb min pin just ate a 5oz box of milk chocolate cherry cordials. What should I do?

86. Laura loot says:

My 10 llb dog ate about 6 pieces of chocolate. It was milk chocolate. Does she need to go to the vet. Also, will they come get her? Like a doggy ambulance? I don’t have a car right now? Thanks.

87. William Roche says:

I was watching a relatives English Mastiff who decided to eat a whole lot of Hops while I was brewing beer at home.(VERY TOXIC to dogs.) I was VERY HAPPY to be able to call and PAY whatever it cost +-$40 / 24/7 , to find out what to do. I of course would have read through a few posts before asking, when it says “CALL US” every 2 posts throughout this whole forum. We are not well off by any means, but I would have scraped up pennies and nickels if I had to in order to save the Dog. Thank you for everything you guys do, best $40 I ever spent. After reading all of these posts, I get the idea that most of them are 19yo babysitters who have no clue and expect instant, free everything since they are still living in Mommy and Daddy’s Basement.

• Hi William,

Thank you for writing about your experience and sharing it with others. We are so glad to hear that you were happy with our service and that we were able to help your relative’s dog. While we hope you never run into another poisoning situation, know that we are always here to help!

88. natalie says:

i have a small dog 4-5 pounds she ate milk chocolate i dont know how much she ate is there anything i need to do

89. Claire says:

ok so my 8 year old shih zu ate half of a milk chocolate bar I’m so scarred that he is going to die my family is trying to cheer me up but it’s not working what do I do

90. Melissa says:

my dog accedently ate a chocolate bar so we asked our neighbor and he said it might get most of it out if he pukes so he puked and now
    he is better thanks to my :-)

91. Melissa says:

neighbor:-) (sorry about that)

92. Pam says:

I just called about my precious doggie who ate a fair amount of dark choc. Initially, I didn’t know there would be a charge & at first was not too happy about this fact. After a few seconds of mulling this over, I realized it was somewhat silly for me to have expected “free” expert advice–this service/site has to make money to pay for expenses in order to operate. I did pay the charge figuring I’d have peace of mind + good advice of what to watch for & also decided it would be a lot cheaper than if I took her into the emergency vet as it is after hours.

Pleasant surprise—the person on the other end of the line was a vet, so I was assured that I was getting knowledgable, competent advice from a trained individual. Very detailed questions were asked and I received very detailed instructions on how to handle this situation. AND what to watch for in event of worsening conditions.

A case number was provided, so I can call back and receive additional info if need be or if I have more questions (my vet can also access this info if need be). The charge is a one time charge for the event.

Thus far, the at home treatment is working and it looks like I will be able to avoid taking my puppy baby into vet (not that I have an issue with that, it’s just I think this was questionable as to toxicity and I felt the more time that passed with the choc in her system the worse it could be + wanted to avoid the stress of vet visit if it’s not necessary).

I want to give this site an A++++. I am happy with the response and service and feel it has been worth every dollar.

• Hi Pam,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience on our website. We are so glad that you were pleased with our service and that we were able to help you treat the incident at home. We work very hard to provide the best service possible and the most cost-effective price and are please that you were able to see the value in it.

Thank you again! All the best to you and your precious pup!

93. Hannah says:

Hi I’m Hannah I have a boxer and a poodle and the boxer is about 100 lbs. the poodle is about 3-5 lbs. and they found a Reesie peanut butter cup and ate about half if it what should I do???

94. clofro says:

I know someone who’s chihuahua ate two snickers bars and is fine. Don’t worry unless your dog is spoiled and sheltered it can handle it. And if ur concerned about paying 40 bucks to call its better than paying 100 too bring him to the vet so they can tell you its OK

95. Jeanne Pierce says:

My tiny, 4-pound Chihuahua ate a TON of Hershey’s Kisses. The silver foil wrappers were scattered everywhere, completely empty, totally licked clean. Thank God that very SWEET milk chocolate is not as toxic as DARK chocolate. Afterwards, she puked some rather clear brown liquid one time, then was fine.

96. Jillian says:

if my dog eats choclate what will he do? my dog eats everything how will i stop him from eating choclate?

97. Jillian says:

i love my dog but he eats everything. he even eats choclate. what do i do?

98. amy olson says:

Dog lovers…..please……keep chocolate out of reach of your dog. If you love your pets you do what it takes to keep them safe. Accidents happen however once your furry child is dead it is much too late to help them. Unsolicited advice…keep even well trained dogs on a leash when outside. Prevention people!
    Our pets love us possibly more than our human family members….pleeeeeeeese….keep them safe
    if for no other reason than the unconditional love. Our pets bring so much good to our lives.

99. eric says:

Reading the comment section makes me think that this site just rangles helpless pet owners into calling a number for 40 bucks a pop. If you truely cared about pets instead of sucking money out of people you would become a not for profit company and have a donation button on the main page of the blog. This would be a better way to do business and help everyone, even those who do not call your number. But to say oh sorry we cant help you here unless you give us money. Thats how the old school 900 numbers used to work but you knew what you were getting with them. I think yall should rethink your stance on praying on the emotions of pet owners who only want to help their loving pets. But thats my two cents

100. Jason says:

I just want to throw this out there. I have 2 mastiffs and a border collie. the mastiffs are both just over a 100lbs. The border collie is 65lbs(I know he’s actually fat) They have all eaten chocolate at some time or another. That is milk chocolate and never a huge amount of just straight chocolate. I did however suspect them of eating a bag of dark chocolate and I called our vet. The vet said if its dark chocolate straight to bring them in ASAP. We did and they were given an injection that makes them throw up almost immediately. This does two things for the vet. One it tells them what was still in their stomach and it clears the stomach of any non digested chocolate. The dogs were fine as they had not in ingested any dark chocolate that they could see in the vomit. This service was about 15 dollars per dog. Here is my advice if you suspect any kind of dark or baking chocolate has been eaten then don’t waste time looking online. Call a vet immediately and take them in. Now of course I am not a vet or a expert but I would say that if a large dog like mine ate a dark Hershey kiss I would watch them real close for a day and only panic if they began to act real strange or sick in any way. Now if a 3 pound dog eats the same I wouldn’t even call the vet until I was in the car already on my way because that could be severe for that size dog. So my overall non expert advice is if its not a ton of chocolate compared to the 2 scenarios above you probably should just make sure you keep an eye on them. Honestly most the vets I know will give the injection to make them throw up and allow you to pay them in the future or in installments. Vets actually care more for animals than doctors care about people. If you can’t afford the bill I am sure you and the vet can work something out unless of course it winds up being thousands of dollars. But to spend thousands of dollars at a vets office is actually pretty difficult. My smaller mastiff has had an orthopedic surgery with hardware implanted by a k=9 orthopod from CSU and it was only $1500. Another thing I was told by a friend is if you own a pet and money is tight get a visa card that will be used for nothing but pet emergencies (no splurging or buying food with that card)Use it if the vet wants their money all right now. Then you can figure out how to pay for it as you could imagine. And Fido will most likely remain happy and alive. Well good luck to all the pet owners out there

101. Chris says:

I agree with honeybunnys post. Nothing in this world is free. In the event of an emergency, suck it up and pay the fee. These people have to make a living as well. If there is no way you could afford it maybe you should budget better. This is a good example of Obamas America, everyone wants something for free! Discusts me!

102. sab(sabrina) says:

you can only give your dog a little piece of chocolate like a centimeter high,i did that and my dog is still alive,was just trying to see what will happen but im happy that she didn’t die cause she likes chocolate

103. Angie says:

Your website is very helpful & appreciated by me, as I used it today when my 6lb Maltese snuck an M&M from my husband & swallowed it whole!

104. Stephen says:

Thanks milk chocolate less worried now

105. Lara Corlies says:

My dog just ate approximately 20-25 of those chocolate foil wrapped gold coins (I know because the wrappers were all over the floor). I called the local animal control since my vet isn’t open yet and they advised to give 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide after getting some specifics -my dog weighs 60 lbs. I took her out side as they advised to give it to her and she vomited immediately. Now I am just watching her for other abnormal behaviors and encouraging her to drink lots of water. When I discovered the wrappers she was sleeping in her crate and responded immediately when I called her tail wagging and all. Presently she is laying down in her dog bed which is normal behavior for her. I will be calling our vet as soon as they open to see if I should bring her in. Wish us luck!!

106. Bill says:

Okay, this is directed at all of those here that are bemoaning the cost of the SERVICE provided by the Hotline. the next time you go to work, walk into your boss’ office and inform him/her that YOU no longer require a wage or salary, and are going to work for donations only. I wish you the best of luck paying your debts, rent, and grocery bills. If you can not (or no longer can) afford a $39 fee for professional help with a potentially poisoned pet, then you really ought to find someone that is able that is willing to adopt your pet.

107. Miss L. says:

I called my Vet and he instructed me to give my 15 lb. dog 1 table spoon of hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. This did cause the dog to vomit and with this quick action soon after eating seemed to have gotten all the chocolate out of the dogs system.

108. Nathan Locklear says:

My two dogs one is 16 months and the other is 2 years old they both just consumed over 15 candy bars what should I do

109. Salma says:

My dog is a Toypoodle and ate half mostly the hole big kisss kiss it Is all milk chocolate and it throwing up a lot what do I do

110. alejandro says:

Please help my dog
    just ate 7 chocalates. What is most likely to happen? ·alejandro

111. alejandro says:

and it was dark chocalate

112. Maddie says:

My dog ate a bag if Semi sweet chocolate chips. What should I do?

113. Dahlia Harris says:

my dog ate the girls scout cookies Thank’s A Lot. I had four in the container but ate three of them. Is there anything i can do to help her. Or should i just take her to the vet.

114. Alyssa says:

Today my dog ate about 5 milk chocolate candy bars. She is 60lbs. or so. Any advice??

115. Victorian says:

The best thing to do for your pet is to induce vomiting if your pet got ahold of good deal of chocolate. Call your local vet and ask them ratio of hydrogen peroxide to weight of your pet. HP is a house hold item that can induce vomiting but it’s super important to make sure you use the correct amount according to your pets weight. Also don’t forget that a lick here or there or a bite is not a huge deal. It’s the dark chocolates or large amounts of chocolate that are dangerous and the most important thing is getting it out of the stomach before it has the chance to absorb in the system. Good luck ya’ll

116. mart says:

come on people simply read the info given by the website (which is free) and you will know what to do. if your pet ate chocolate then you must determine what to do based on the amount of chocolate, weight of the dog and the kind of chocolate it ate, and yes it can be poisonous but also may not be. just follow instructions determine if you gotta induce vomiting or dilute with liquid and supervise.if symptoms worsen please go to your vet immediately and seek help there. forget calling the helpline , of course theyre going to ask for money… its a company thats their whole purpose, they will help if you pay, they dont care for your pet as much as money but you should know thats how it works. if you gotta spend money do it at your vets not this help line that most likely will repeat the info already given and then tell you to go to your vet anyway.

117. mart says:

this will be very usefull to everyone worried about your pet it is my best help as a regular pet lover..

118. Nemesis says:

I have a wonderful idea. Don’t call these crooks and go to another site.

119. Tabitha says:

I have a small yorkie 3yrs old and he just ate a full bag of plain M&Ms what should I do? Im worried!

120. Tanya says:

Last night was the worse for me. My lil 3.5 toy Yorkie got a hold of some DARK CHOCOLATE this weekend. It started off with Diarrhea and Vomiting. I tried to see if it goes away because at that point I did not know he had chocolate. Well last night when I got in from work he was not his normal self and didn’t move. I heard him moaning and sounded as if he was in so much pain. I googled an late night VET and was told it will $350 just for a consultation, labs and xray. I sat and thought about and said wait, does this include the medication as well? They said “NO” so my response in tears was I only have $250 and could you just give him the treatment for what we think it is and go from there. They did and he is doing so much better. But when I got home and a personal friend called and notified me that all I had to do was give him pedialyte and immodium ad… Which would have saved me a lot of money but at the end of the day you will do just about anything to save your baby. I’m just glad that I had a VET that was willing to give me the treatment without all the LABS and Xray’s. However I was also notified that a VET should work with what you got within reason.

121. Ann says:

Anyone who cannot afford $39 should really not owna pet. They can get very expensive, but they love unconditinally. Make sure you can afford to earn that love!

122. Ariana says:

My medium sized dog just ate a whole milk chocolate bunny and I am very worried. He is 11 or 12 years old and rather weak. I don’t know what to do and I’m scared.

123. Noreen says:

I left my house in a rush and left some dark chocolates on the side table. My mini Dachshund decided to get into them. When I returned I didn’t notice it right away and I fed her dinner. About an hour later I noticed the chocolate wrappers on the coach so I looked up on the internet what to do. It directed me to this site and I read a lot of these comments about the $39.00 fee for a consultation. But I thought to myself that my dog was worth it and besides just to walk into a Vet ER it would cost almost $100.00.
    They were very helpful with what to do and it calmed me down enough to be able to take care of her. She is now doing fine and I will be keeping an eye on her for the next 24 hours and hopefully this is all that will be needed to be done.
    I just want to say Thank you to the people that I spoke with on the phone. You were a very big help and I would recommend to anyone that the $39.00 fee is worth every penny if you truly love your pet!!!

124. Steve says:

Why are people posting in the comments section of a random blog if they’re truly worried about their pet?! Be smarter pet owners please. Call your vet. Call a help line. Would you comment on a blog for help if your kid was vomiting uncontrollably?! And stop bashing a company for charging $40 for help. Try to understand that a business needs money to be able to properly help you. The ignorance in these comments is concerning.